1. Republic of Colombia is the official name of Colombia.2. Colombia is the only country of South America with the access of both The Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea.3. South America’s oldest democracy is of Colombia.4.
Colombia shares the border with 5 countries- Peru, Ecuador, Brazil, Venezuela and Panama.5. The capital of Colombia is Bogota and it is one of the highest cities in the world.6. Spanish is the official language of Colombia.7.
Colombia is second most biodiverse country in the world.8. Colombia is the fourth largest country in South America.
9. There are 8 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Colombia.10. The name ‘Colombia’ was given after Christopher Columbus.11. Colombia produce about 12% of the total coffee produced in the world.
12. There are 58 National Parks in Columbus which covers 11% of global area of country.13. The ‘River of Five Colors’ is in Colombia. 14. Sierra Nevada in Colombia is second highest coastal mountain in the world.
15. Colombia is leading producer of Green Gemstone called, Emeralds.16. Colombia lies on the Pacific Ocean’s Pacific Ring of Fire. It is a zone where earthquakes and volcanos are very common.17. In the world Colombia is the third largest exporter of coffee.
18. There are many endemic species of animals and plants that are found only in Colombia.19. Colombians celebrates 18 holidays in a year, which is the second highest, first is India.
20. In Colombia about 1,800 species of birds can be found.21. 90% of Colombia population is catholic.22. Graffiti is not punishable crime in Colombia, instead they support street art.23.
The favorite breakfast of Colombia is milk soup with undercooked eggs and is called Changua.24. The mountain Cerro Rico was a discovery of Spain. The mountain had silver.25. There is a celebration in Colombia when girl turn 15 and is called “La Quinceañera” and the gift for girl is gold.
26. Colombia was ranked as the happiest country in the world twice.27.
18 years is the legal drinking age in Colombia.28. Aguardiente drink made from sugarcane is the National drink of the country.29.
Tejo is the traditional and national sports of Colombia.30. It is mandatory to play National anthem on radio and TV every day at 6 am and 6 pm in Colombia.31. It is believed that human settled in Colombia before 20,000 years.32. The population of Colombia is about 48.
6 million.33. Colombia covers the area of 1,141,748 square kilometers of the earth.
34. Colombia has coastline of about 2,000 miles.35. There are only 14 species of Wax Palm in the world, and Colombia has 7 of them.36. After cancer, drug-related violence is the second most common cause of death.37. The economy of Colombia is third largest in South America.
38. The highest peak in Colombia is the Pico Cristobal Colon at 19,020 feet.39.
Colombian men while talking or hand shaking always looks in the eyes.40. The most popular sports of Colombia are Football, roller skating, boxing, baseball and weight lifting.41. Pablo Escobar once offered to pay the debt of Colombia of $10 billion to improve his reputation.42. There are approximately 300 beaches in the Colombia, which are open for locals and tourists.43.
Amazon Rainforest covers the one-third portion of Colombia.44. Colombian women are very concern about their figure, thousands of cosmetic surgeries are performed every year in Colombia.45. Spanish ruled the Colombia for 300 years.46. Colombia became independent from Spain in 1813.
47. The government of Colombia bans alcohol on major country events like World Cup to avoid public violence.48. Colombia has the longest bike road of South America, it is 300 kilometers long.49.
Marigolds and lilies are for funerals in Colombia and are never given as gift.50. The highest waterfall of Colombia is The Tequendama Falls.
51. Colombia hosts one of the biggest salsa festival, carnival festival, theatre festival, festival of flowers and many more.52. Flatbread prepared from corn flour with different fillings is a popular snack of Colombians.53. The famous musicians Shakira and Juanes are Colombian.54.
Santa Marta was the first Spanish settlement in Colombia.55. There are more than 60 indigenous languages spoken in Colombia.56. Colombians use both maternal and paternal surnames.
57. Colombian women got right to vote from 1975.58. Due to its location near the equator there are hardly any change in season, they have sun throughout the year.59.
Scientists believe that more than 3,000 species of butterflies are found in Colombia.60. The drug lord Pablo Escobar was from Colombia.61. Longest river of Colombia is Magdalena.
62. The literacy rate of Colombia is 92.7%.63.
There are two National holidays- July 20 and August 7.64. If you want to learn scuba-dive in cheap price then Colombia is the best.65. Colombia is the top producer of cocaine.66.
Colombian Peso is the national currency of Colombia.67. The pink dolphins can be found in Colombia.68. Colombia is the third largest oil producing country in the South America.
69. More than 70% of population lives in cities.70. The life expectancy of Colombia is 74.18 years.