Facts about Egypt
1. Cairo is the capital of Egypt and also the largest city in Egypt.
2. The Arab Republic of Egypt is the formal name of Egypt.
3. Though Christianity was the major religion in Egypt for the centuries, now 90% of the population of Egypt is Muslim.
4. For a long time in Egypt, there was the fashion of transparent dresses among the wealthy women.
5. The ancient Egyptians invented door locks and were the first to use the keys
6. Contraceptives and antibiotics were first used in Egypt.
7. The Egyptian pound is the main currency in Egypt.
8. In Ancient Egypt, mother was the head of the family. Moreover, even the pedigree was conducted only on the maternal line.
9. The longest river in the world, Nile is in Egypt.
10. Heracleion (the lost city of Egypt) was found under the sea after 1200 years.
11. The Egyptians had developed a postal service. They sent letters to the right address with the help of domesticated pigeons.
12. Alexander the Great was buried in Egypt.
13. 91% of Egyptian women aged between 15 and 49 years have undergone female genital mutilation.
14. Toothbrush and paste are the inventions of the Egyptians.
15. Cleopatra was the last active ruler of Egypt.
16. Egypt’s national animal is the Steppe eagle.
17. The ancient Egyptians never celebrated their birthdays.
18. Pyramid of Djoser is the oldest pyramid in Egypt.
19. The Great Sphinx of Giza is the world’s largest monolith statue.
20. Egypt is the only Arab country to have a movie industry.
21. Great Ancestor, Ramesses II ruled Egypt for 60 years and had 8wives, more than 90 children and more than 100 concubines.
22. Not only people or cats but also other animals were mummified. Archaeologists managed to find a crocodile mummy, whose length exceeded four meters.
23. The ancient Egyptians believed that the earth is flat and round, and the Nile flows through its center.
24. The average life expectancy in Egypt is 72.66 years,
25. Egyptian people are considered as one of the most obedient people.
26. The Pyramid of Khufu is the largest Pyramid in Egypt.
27. Egypt only receives 20mm of rainfall per year.
28. The famous Statue of Liberty was first intended to set up at Egypt.
29. The Pharaohs used to always cover their hair because common people were not allowed to see it.
30. Almost 90% of Egypt is desert.
31. The pyramids in Egypt are inspired by the rays of Sun, say some researchers.
32. In ancient times, the Egyptians used three calendars: daily agricultural, astronomical and lunar.
33. The pyramid of Giza is among the seven wonders of both the ancient and the modern world.
34. Egypt has the oldest prosthetic limb in the world.
35. Egypt is the 66th most fertile country in the world.
36. In Ancient Egypt, more than 14,000 gods were worshipped by the people.
37. Construction of huge pyramids is not done by the slaves but by the paid workers.
38. In ancient Egypt, children did not wear any clothes at all until adolescence.
39. Rich Egyptians wore wigs, the hair of the Egyptians of the lower classes was long and sometimes braided.
40. The oldest dress is found in Egypt aged almost 5000 years.
41. It is a popular myth that Egypt has the largest pyramid, Mexico has the largest pyramid in the world.
42. Football is the most popular sport in Egypt.
43. Egypt’s main exports include cotton, aluminum, food products, and oil.
44. There are more than 118 pyramids in Egypt.
45. About 95% of the population of Egypt lives along the Nile River.
46. The first pyramid was originally enclosed by a wall 10 meters high. There were 15 doors in the wall. Only one of them opened.
47. There are many pathways in the Pyramid of Giza that are not even explored by the humans.
48. The pyramids were erected with stones so heavy it weighs up to 10 tons each. It is still unknown how this was done exactly.
49. The government of Egypt controls the major television and radio broadcast.
50. Killing a cat in ancient Egypt was punished by the death penalty.
51. In ancient Egypt, like women, men also used makeups, green (from copper) and black (from lead) colors, it was the belief that makeup protects the face from sun rays.
52. Exchanging the wedding rings tradition was first started in ancient Egypt.
53. The clock is the invention of the Ancient Egyptians.
54. The approximate date of the appearance of the hieroglyphs is 3000 BC.
55. The official language of Egypt is Arabic.
56. With the population of 95.69 million, Egypt is the largest Arab country in the world.
57. Gypsy is a short name for “Egyptian”.
58. Ancient Egyptians had a belief that cats are scared and keeping a cat in the house brings the good luck.
59. Egyptian women had equal rights as men, they can earn, sell or inherit property.
60. Egypt has one of the largest manmade dams, known as the Aswan high dam.
61. Most of the people think that the Pyramid of Giza has 4 sides but there are actually 8 sides.
62. In total there are about 700 unique hieroglyphs symbols that could be just a letter, a word, and even a sentence.
63. An ancient king of Egypt, King Tutankhamun died when he was just 18 years of age.
64. About 12% of the working population of Egypt is working in the tourist industry.
65. The Suez Canal, which links the Mediterranean Sea with the Indian Ocean is under the control of Egypt.
66. Scatomancy was very popular in Ancient Egypt, it is the act of telling the future through someone’s poop.
67. Egyptian pharaohs often were overweight, because their diet included honey, beer, bread, wine and food that were rich in sugar.
68. The Egyptians have a habit of not building roofs on their homes. Following the laws of this country, such buildings are considered unfinished, which frees their owners from taxes.
69. Some Egyptians married their sisters so that they know her duties and it reduced the number of pretenders to the throne.
70. Ancient Egyptians believed that the Nile River flooded each year because the goddess Isis crying.
Facts about Egypt