Human Resource Management
Assessor : Frank Adaji
Student name : Lavinia Maria Amarandei
Id number: d04181872
Beardwell in 2004 define human resource management is the process of composing plan, evolve and administering the policies and development program of human resources in the organisation . It is mainly concerned with the effective utilisation of human resources to bring good outcome. It also takes action maintain good relationship between the employee and employers as stated by (Armstrong, 2014).Effective practice of human resource management will benefit both employer and employees.
This assignment explains how human resource management at Mark and Spancer (M& S) to achieve organisational goals and objectives. This assignment also asses the capability of the human resource practice stating how it rise profit and productivity.
Overview of organisation
Marks and Spencer (also known as M&S; colloquially known as Marks and Sparks, Marks’s or, simply, Marks) is a major British multinational retailer headquartered in the City of West-minster, London. It specializes in the selling of clothing, home products and luxury food products. M;S was founded in 1884 by Michael Marks and Thomas Spencer in Leeds.In 1998, the company became the first British retailer to make a pre-tax profit of over £1 billion, although subsequently it went into a sudden slump, which took the company, its shareholders, who included hundreds of thousands of small investors, and nearly all retail analysts and business journalists, by surprise. (marksandspencer, 2018)
Purpose and function of HRM in the organisation
Human resource management at M;S should perform the following functions to achieve the organisational goals and objectives so for this reason we can find some effective workforce planning and resourcing and in this wat the purpose and functions of HRM are discussing below:
• The primary purpose of HRM is to identify the vacant positions of the organization and then hire members of staff. So, planning ,helps the organisation knowledge, skills and abilities required for the operation of the company (Julie Beardwell, 2007). Mark and Spancer is a retailer. It needs human resources to operate the business effectively. Through effective HR planning M;S enables the company to improve the overall performance of human resources.
• After establishing objectives and developed plans, organizational structure must be developed and designed to carry out various operation. This function includes: group-ing into personnel activity, assignment of different functions, delegation of authority and co-ordination of activities.
• Motivating employees is another important function of HRM. The purpose of motiva-tion is to encourage people to work willingly and effectively to achieve the goals of the organization. Motivation can be given through career planning, salary administra-tion, ensuring employee morale, developing cordial relationships and provision of safe-ty and welfare requirements.
• Performance Management is the process which is responsible to monitor and review the activities of the employees at workplace and ensure that the right people with the right skills are hired for the right job, proper direction, controlling and monitoring must be ensured by the employers The management should assess the current perfor-mance of the employees and take action to cope with the deviations .(Torrington, 2008)
• For developing good competency, training and development is essential functions of HRM employees must be trained to perform their job effectively. Training and development programs provide useful means which assures that employees are capable of performing efficiently at their acceptable levels. Human resource management at M;S focuses on the employee development through training. M;S provides training program to increase the organisational sustainability through employee development (Torrington, 2008). M;S wants to make people to enjoy their work and feel they have all the skills they need to do their job to the best of their ability.
Strengths and weaknesses of approaches of different approaches to recruitment and selection
When we talk about recruitment process we think of people that organisation needs and for the selection which is the recruitment part which approves suitable candidates for the job. This is a strategic business tool that is used in identifying an organization’s internal and external factors which are important in helping it meet its objectives. It identifies a company’s Strength and weakness (internal organizational factors) and Opportunities and Threats (external environmental factors) that are affecting the company. It will therefore help in analyzing and understanding Marks ; Spencer’s current business situation and where improvements are needed to be made
Internal Strength Weakness
• Brand Name
• Customer satisfaction
• Social responsible – Sustainability
• Global business – Utilize more mar-ket experience • Weak return on invested capital cou-pled with high pension and dept def-icits
• M&S legacy stores and systems are a competitive disadvantage.
• Not attractive for economical valued customers
• High competition in food market
• Frequent Management change
External Opportunity Threats
• Making China and India a centre of attention can lead to expansion in two of the fastest growing markets
• Online shopping continues to flour-ish in the UK and will enable M&S to increase revenues
• Utilize Social media marketing • Pension funds deficits will lead to constraint in the availability of money for other operations and expansions
• Price increase in clothing and VAT increases will lead to less spending by customers
• UK economical issues